Saturday, March 28, 2015

Awesome 5-minute microwave Red Velvet Cake

I have been a huge fan of making my own food & I have been doing this for close to a decade now. I believe that food should be healthy, delicious & most importantly, respected. My recipes are simple, rustic & packed with flavor. And, I will always opt for a healthier alternative whenever & wherever accessible. 

I have developed quite a sweet tooth, of late. To me, the day would not be complete without the addition of a something sweet to end it. I come from a family with diabetes encoded in my genetic configuration. Diabetes & desserts don't get along very well together. Hence, I started developing dessert recipes that are friendly to my health without having to offend my taste buds.

This first, of my many recipes I intend to share (beyond all the tempting images I post on my Facebook wall) was developed for my husband & his love for Red Velvet Cakes. It's a bonus that this recipe takes almost no time (and very little money) to make - the perfect solution for busy weeknights!

How to make a Red Velvet Cake in 5 minutes (cooking & prep time)

This recipe serves 2. You will need 2 microwave safe ramekins (or 2 microwave safe mugs)
Tip : Be sure to get all your ingredients measured out & equipment ready for prep time!

Ingredients :

55g      Self raising flour (or add 1/4 tsp baking powder to all purpose flour)
75g      Unsalted butter
30g      Brown sugar
1          Large egg
1Tbs    Milk (more or less; can be substituted with water. I use low fat milk)
1tsp     Super Sprout Beetroot Powder (Buy here)
1/2tsp  Vanilla essence (I use Organic vanilla essence, not flavoring)
1Tbs    Cocoa powder
(opt)    Chocolate chips
(opt)    Cream cheese
(opt)    1 shot of low fat milk




Steps :

1. Mix butter, flour, sugar, cocoa powder & Super Sprout Beetroot Powder (Buy here) until you get a coarse breadcrumb like texture.



2. Add eggs into mixture & beat. If you find the consistency a little stiff, add in the milk (or water, if you so choose) a little by little to loosen the mixture. We are looking for a even and smooth consistency.


3. Pour the mixture to fill half of the ramekins. I like pushing down a couple of chocolate chips into the center of my mixture. This helps keep the cake moist & gives me a little "molten chocolate" center to look forward to.

4. Pop the ramekins into your microwave at high for 1 1/2 minutes. Poke the center with a fork to know if it is cooked. (The fork should come out clean).
**Microwave maximum powers vary from model to model. So if your cake is not done in 90 seconds, continue cooking at 30 second increments until cooked.

5. Serve with a dollop of cream cheese & a shot of milk each, to go with.





Copyright ©lobaksoup 2015-2020. Any use, reprint and republishing of this material online and offline is prohibited without the clear consent of the author of this blog.

No comments: